Opening ports

Guest FlAsH

I believe I'm having a bit of trouble opening ports on my router (I have a belkin router).

The options to open ports and what I have are as follows:

Trig. Start Port|Trig. End Port|Trig. Type|Pub. Port|Pub. Type

2003 |2003 |BOTH |2003 |BOTH

2126 |2126 |BOTH |2126 |BOTH

4003 |4003 |BOTH |4003 |BOTH

Note: BOTH stands for TCP and UDP connections.

----

When I try to connect to my server through my external IP, I can't connect (although when I connect using 'localhost' it works fine). So I believe there is something wrong with the way I am opening ports. I don't have any firewall other than the one the router has, so if anyone sees what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

• 3 months later...

I have a Belkin router too (model F46949uk-b) and I'm buggered if I can get it to work with MTA either. In the Virtual Server area I've opened up the ports like so: -

Ports: 2003-2003 TCP/UDP to 192.168.2.3 Ports: 2003-2003

Ports: 4003-4003 TCP/UDP to 192.168.2.3 Ports: 4003-4003

Ports: 2126-2126 TCP/UDP to 192.168.2.3 Ports: 2126-2126

I added the last one because I noticed in ZoneAlarm that the server was listening on these ports for some reason. :?

I know ZoneAlarm is not the problem as when I didn't have the router I could run a server fine through it. I've also closed ZoneAlarm down too but that didn't work either. :x

I've tried placing the host IP outside the router's firewall with no luck.

I'm as frustrated as a frustrated thing. :x:x:x

Any ideas?

you CANNOT connect to your own wan ip, this is because you are under the routers setup...localhost is a term used to translate to 127.0.0.1, or your computers home ip, anyone NOT inside your network should be able to connect to your wan ip, if they are in your network, then they will need the hosts local ip ex: 192.168.*.*

The ports are probably open tho.

edit-- btw, don't resurrect old threads hehe, u could jus pm'ed me, and what is your servers address (wan ip in your router settings)

I didn't know that you couldn't see your own WAN IP through a router... :oops:

Anyhow, my mate cannot attach to my server, he tried so there must be a port forwarding problem. He can ping my WAN IP (if I let him).

Something is going on... ARGH!

:x