Gangwar rules for GTA3

Nutz

What standard set of rules should we use for gang wars in GTA3?

The most significant difference in gangplay from VC is the auto-respawning in a semi-random location. Here are a couple ways to deal with that:

- Exit game when you die and monitor the chat in the client.

- Assign a pre-defined gathering area for people out of play. You must go directly there and not go near active fighting. you must not hurt or kill anyone while out of play. The safe area should be chosen for each round to keep it away from the action.\

- allow players to return to play immediately and use a fixed time limit to end the round.

Winner is determined by cumulative kills for the team or some other formula like kill to death

ratio. In this scenario kills outside of a defined theater should be disallowed to prevent

spawnwar or disorganized chaos from ensuing.

Careful consideration should be given to the allowance of vehicle kills because they are too easy in GTA3. Personally I think they should be allowed because, well, it's a part of the game!

These are the rules I would like to use in a GTA3 gangwar:

- All weapons and kill types are allowed, including Vehicle and Dodo

- Teams may gather/purchase weapons before the round begins.

There may be a time limit for pre-round gathering.

- When you are killed, immediately exit the game (escape->quit game) and monitor the

mta client chat until the end of round ( we should probably do this for VC too just to reduce crashes)

- Fighting is limited to a well defined play area with precise boundaries. The play area

sholud be large enough to offer some minor mobility.

- 2 or three rounds are played, attack/defend and ffa if the first two are tied.

- Defending team must be within the defined play area at all times once the round starts.

- FFA round begins with both teams at chosen 'bases' and ready before Go is mutually called.

would staying in the boundries be difficult with the dodo?

That depends on the boundaries but in general I would expect the attacking team

to use dodos not the defending team.

Just to be clear only the defending team has to stay within the play area, the attacking

team can go anywhere.

In FFA mode the play area could be very large.

I really cant see defend and attack matches working in this initial phase of gta3mta0.4, seems much more sensible to work with what you have than try and enforce somethign that was developed for mtavc.

Something more fitting would be timed matches with the highest scorers the winners at the end of it, score being kills. This evens it a little as nobody gets credit for a car kill, encouraging gunplay.

Other than that why not come up with some gta3 match modes rather than try and crowbar the stale old vc ones into it. Capture the whoopie matches, or capture the dodo if you want 2 things to capture. (or even 3 dodos, 3 teams of 5 players with 3 dodos to capture would add a whole new twist). And thats not getting into turismo, chase modes (possible now that mtama knows how close your car is to someone elses)

We cant emphasise enough that gta3mta is a whole new game, lets give it its own carefuly considered matchplay elements :)

I really cant see defend and attack matches working in this initial phase of gta3mta0.4,

i can, what you need to do is, have a (insert minutes here) minute melee period where the better players get money and get ready for the Attack and Defend, when everyone is reay, then it happens, and GTA3 has some good bases (kind of, i would like to see the other islands ;) )

so...whatever :roll:

I really cant see defend and attack matches working in this initial phase of gta3mta0.4,

i can, what you need to do is, have a (insert minutes here) minute melee period where the better players get money and get ready for the Attack and Defend, when everyone is reay, then it happens, and GTA3 has some good bases (kind of, i would like to see the other islands ;) )

so...whatever :roll:

You can pick up 15 shotgun shells from pickups and at least 10 from cop cars without killing anyone. If each person gets to kill one person they can buy the AK. Maybe there should be an extra player won't be int the round that everyone gets to kill once before the round

for the cash. Any other killing including team killing before a round would be forbidden. At the end of a round you must quit and restart (how do you verify this?) and go through the pre-round process fresh.

One way to help this would be to have an "ammo bot" that repeatedly spawns in the same spot with the desired weapons. Unfortunately that would require a modded scm.

Another possibility for pre-round gathering if you got cash for flying in the dodo. $10 for every game minute of flight for the pilot and any passengers would mean $600 each per real minute of flight. This would make a 5 minute pre-round gathering session practical. It would also encourage more people to fly and to do fly-taxi role playing when not in gangwars.

How about modelling the gang wars around what is there at the moment? Obviously many things can happen in a 'pre-round gathering', like someone gets an itchy trigger finger or there are crashes or accidental carkills, etc.

Maybe something like a 1 on 1 round, or a 10-minute free for all with respawn allowed. We all know how long a match can take to get started in VC, imagine how long it would take in the format suggested.

How about modelling the gang wars around what is there at the moment? Obviously many things can happen in a 'pre-round gathering', like someone gets an itchy trigger finger or there are crashes or accidental carkills, etc.

Maybe something like a 1 on 1 round, or a 10-minute free for all with respawn allowed. We all know how long a match can take to get started in VC, imagine how long it would take in the format suggested.

I'm beginning to think you're right. With the difficulty in getting weapons for the kind of wars we are used to, perhaps a 10 minute ffa would be best for now. One point for each kill of the other team, minus one point for each teamkill.

The only points of contention would be location and if car kills are allowed.

How about near one of the ammunations so good players can restock their weapons. This would make for a very interesting dynamic requireing coordination between teammates of who has appropriate weapons and health for the situation.

How does this sound:

- 2 or 3 five minute matches

- ffa on the ship (which has an ammunation and interesting obstructions

and a rather well defined boundary)

- before starting each team is on opposite sides of the boat, on the deck of the boat, with only the weapons you spawn with.

- you may not leave the boat during the round. The boat ramp is not a part of the boat for this rule. You may not be on the boat ramp unless you are a returning player. Once you board the boat you may not leave during the round unless you die.

- if you die you must go directly to the boat without picking up

weapons OR cash. You must not fire any shots while not on the boat. The boat ramp is a part of the boat for this rule. This is to help returning players protect against ramp campers.

- you must quit and restart game before starting a round to reset weapons health and cash. You must not quit and restart during a round (unless you crash, then you must call crash in the chat).

- If there is a health pickup on the boat you may use it (I havent check if this is the case)

- you may buy weapons from the boat store at any time during the match but not before a match. You may not pick up weapons OR cash before a round starts.

- scoring is determined by adding all of the non-team kills minus all of the team kills for players on each team. The team with the highest score wins the round.

- The first team to win two rounds wins the match and the match is over.

heres a suggestion for gaining money, its just a spin off of another idea mentioned. Have a 2-3 minute ffa, but you can only use bats, and have it confined in a certain area, like say the spot behind punk noodles, or on the bridge. that way no ammo is lost. and if a person shots a weapon, or preforms a car kill during the bat fight time, they arnt allowed to play in the acctual gang match, therefore encouraging players just to be part of the bat fight. also leaving the fighting area to get health would be allowed so players dont have to die if they have enough skill, and they would retain thier money.

Another issue that came to mind is the crashing, it happens tuff shit. It seems it mainly happens on the more populated servers, which is logical. So im not sure how this would effect the gang war, I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the patch comes out, and hopefully most of the crashes would be fixed.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

It seems all of these types of rules will not work with this type of game.

Too much setup and way too many things can go wrong.

I would suggest a TeamScript for this type of match. The only unfortunate thing is car kills because it could easily count as a friendly kill if you get ran over by the enemy. Since that is equal for everyone and it's unavoidable I guess it's something we have to live with.

You have to coordinate with your team to regroup when you respawn